Autoversion is a tool I created in Python to automatically increment the version of my applications each time I build them in Visual Studio. It's not limited to Visual Studio because it's just a command-line interface. The tool is currently written for Python 2.7, but I'll be updating it soon for Python 3.5.
To make use of Autoversion, just put autoversion.py where your IDE can run it. I've added configuration instructions for Visual Studio on the github page. This is also where you can keep up with the source and download:Add a comment
The tomatoes and peppers have finally reached their limit in their 6" pots, so today I spent a lot of back breaking work getting them into their final pots. I have two different kinds of pots, 5.5 gallon nursery pots and large 18" pots that are probably close to 7 gallons. The soil I used is the same from the previous blog article, but I had to buy 4 cubic feet of it. Each 2 cubic feet bag of soil was good for about 2 pots with a little left over. I actually would have needed more than this, but I had some leftover soil from last year.
I planted the peppers at their existing soil level, but the tomatoes I buried a little deeper than they were before and trimming off some of the lower branches. I can't plant them too deep, because there is really not a lot of depth in pots. It would have been a different story if I were in a real garden; they would be planted with half their length in the ground. I've never had to disturb the roots and I don't prefer to, so there has been absolutely no observable transplant shock.
I also planted a single crooked neck squash and some mint. Also growing are green onions, catnip, parsley, basil, dill, and patio princess tomato for my office.
I've started hardening off my Peppers & Tomatoes to get them ready to stay outside. They're getting to be too large to keep under my light indoors and I really want to start some Herbs when these stop taking up space. When they're ready to remain outside they're going into some really large 18" pots.
I didn't do this last year so I'm really not sure if I'm doing it right, but we'll see how it turns out in a couple of weeks. For the past couple of days I've put them outside when I get home from work (about 5 PM). I leave them outside until dark and bring them back in. That's about 45 minutes. I've also reduced their watering, but today (two days later) I've had to water them to keep them from wilting. The main problem is the biodegradable pots that tend to dry out very quick. Today (Saturday) and tomorrow I plan on increasing their time outside to about two hours. Next week I'm probably going to leave them outside from morning to noon. Hopefully by mid-next week they can just stay outside 24/7.
TIP: Carrying plants outside two at a time is sort of exhausting; though my dog Squish loves the activity. To make it easier I've put most of the plants on low profile produce crates and trays.
My seedlings have grown and put out a second set of leaves, so that means it's time to upgrade their living arrangements. The peppers aren't quite there yet, but they are close enough. They're going to send out their second set of leaves within a few days. I didn't expect these seedlings to grow so fast! Next year I probably will not use the Jiffy trays, and I probably will not grow 100 plants when I only have room for a dozen on my patio!
I don't suspect the tomatoes will go through any shock, but the peppers seemed a bit more sensitive to being disturbed. I'll have to pick the cream of the crop and the rest will probably have to go in the trash. Time to transplant ...
Unfortunately, I don't have enough room for every seedling to have a life, or enough friends to give them to so to make sure each healthy plant get's it's own space to grow, the number of plants per pot will have to be reduced to one per pot. I really hate doing this, but to ensure I have the best plants I had to grow more than I needed.
It's that time of year again! Time to start thinking about what I want to plant on my patio. I'm fortunate to have an apartment with plenty of patio space, so last year I tried this and had very little success. The biggest problem was the incredible heat we had here in Mississippi in 2015 and on top of that I have to use pots which quickly dry up in the heat.
In 2015 I used a large produce crate and an expensive (leftover) aquarium light to start seeds, but I had really started the seeds way too late (April). In an effort to catch up and try to compete with my dad's backyard garden (I'm not fortunate to have my own home just yet!), I bought plants from the garden center. I had roma tomatoes, better boy tomatoes, bell peppers, summer squash, and cucumbers. They all grew well and fast until the crazy heat began. I might have gathered less than 3 tomatoes, 2 cucumbers, and only 2 itty bitty peppers. The harvest was horrible, but I can survive thanks to local grocery stores and something called Hamburger Helper.
It's 2016 and time to start again and I'm not going to procrastinate and start late this time. It's the beginning of February here (South, Central USA) and the perfect time to get a head start. It should start warming up more by March which is when these plants will need to go out on the patio. The first thing I'm going to do this year is build my seed starting station and start the seeds. Let's get see what I've come up with...