This weekend I decided to take a break from my Bender project and work on a quick Star Trek Discovery project. I designed the captain's insignia using Autodesk Fusion 360 and printed it on my Lulzbot Mini. The design was simple and includes indentations for 5mm x 1mm magnets (from Amazon here) so that it can be worn without sticking holes in your favorite Star Trek t-shirts. Check out the video below to watch how I made this prop (click readmore)! Subscribe if you want to see videos like this in the future.
Autoversion is a tool I created in Python to automatically increment the version of my applications each time I build them in Visual Studio. It's not limited to Visual Studio because it's just a command-line interface. The tool is currently written for Python 2.7, but I'll be updating it soon for Python 3.5.
To make use of Autoversion, just put autoversion.py where your IDE can run it. I've added configuration instructions for Visual Studio on the github page. This is also where you can keep up with the source and download:Add a comment
The tomatoes and peppers have finally reached their limit in their 6" pots, so today I spent a lot of back breaking work getting them into their final pots. I have two different kinds of pots, 5.5 gallon nursery pots and large 18" pots that are probably close to 7 gallons. The soil I used is the same from the previous blog article, but I had to buy 4 cubic feet of it. Each 2 cubic feet bag of soil was good for about 2 pots with a little left over. I actually would have needed more than this, but I had some leftover soil from last year.
I planted the peppers at their existing soil level, but the tomatoes I buried a little deeper than they were before and trimming off some of the lower branches. I can't plant them too deep, because there is really not a lot of depth in pots. It would have been a different story if I were in a real garden; they would be planted with half their length in the ground. I've never had to disturb the roots and I don't prefer to, so there has been absolutely no observable transplant shock.
I also planted a single crooked neck squash and some mint. Also growing are green onions, catnip, parsley, basil, dill, and patio princess tomato for my office.
I've started hardening off my Peppers & Tomatoes to get them ready to stay outside. They're getting to be too large to keep under my light indoors and I really want to start some Herbs when these stop taking up space. When they're ready to remain outside they're going into some really large 18" pots.
I didn't do this last year so I'm really not sure if I'm doing it right, but we'll see how it turns out in a couple of weeks. For the past couple of days I've put them outside when I get home from work (about 5 PM). I leave them outside until dark and bring them back in. That's about 45 minutes. I've also reduced their watering, but today (two days later) I've had to water them to keep them from wilting. The main problem is the biodegradable pots that tend to dry out very quick. Today (Saturday) and tomorrow I plan on increasing their time outside to about two hours. Next week I'm probably going to leave them outside from morning to noon. Hopefully by mid-next week they can just stay outside 24/7.
TIP: Carrying plants outside two at a time is sort of exhausting; though my dog Squish loves the activity. To make it easier I've put most of the plants on low profile produce crates and trays.